Modal Auxiliary Verb - Fungsi SEOM

Fungsi Similar Expression of Modal (SEOM)

1. Untuk menghindari bertemunya 2 modal dalm 1 kalimat.
  • I must be able to master English. (I must can master English)
2. Bisa didahului atau diikuti oleh to infinitive dan memberikan makna pada to infinitive.
  • I want to be able to pass the examination. (I want to can pass the examination)
3. Bisa masuk ke dalam tenses Perfect. (Hanya untuk modal yang memiliki Similar Expression).
  • I should study harder. → I have been supposed to study harder. (Present Perfect)
                                             → I had been supposed to study harder. (Past Perfect)

4. Untuk memberikan makna tambahan(Extra Meaning)
  • Must → (-) Prohibition : The students mustn't sleep in the class.
                        (+) Internal wish : I must be on time, because I want to be a successful man.
 
          Have to → (-) Weak prohibition : I haven't to (= needn't) study hard.

                            (+) External wish : I have to be on time. My boss will be angry if I am late.
  • Should → (-) Internal wish : I should study hard because I want to pass the exam.
           Be suppossed to → (+) External wish : I am supposed to do my homework. My teacher will
                                                                          give me punishment if I don't finish it.
  • May (+) Internal wish : I feel sleepy. May I sleep now?
          Be allowed to → (+) External wish: I must pick my father up. Am I allowed to borrow you car?

5. Untuk memberikan peluang/kesempatan pada "Seri 2" (lihat table [Kecuali no.6 dan no.5 khusus 'could']) untuk membentuk tenses Past.
  • Were you allowed to buy some books? (Would you buy some books?)
6. Untuk menggantikan posisi Modal ketika modal murninya tidak bisa memasukinya.

Komentar